Comparison/Contrast Paper for Interpreter of Maladies
1) Choose two characters (from either two different stories or the same story). The comparison of these two characters will serve as the basis for this assignment.
2) The body paragraphs will consist of the following:
a) identify what you think motivates the character and then illustrate his/her motivation with detailed examples from the story
b) identify the obstacle that is preventing the character from getting what he/she wants and then provide evidence for why he/she does or does not attain this.
For each character you must provide an (a) and (b) section.
3) Use alternating or block style organization.
4) In the conclusion [after you have assessed whether each character gets what he/she wants above in (b)], if he/she does get what he/she wants, discuss whether this constitutes success for this character.Or, if he/she does not get what he/she wants, discuss whether this constitutes failure.Briefly compare the results for both characters.
5) In the introduction provide a brief background for who these characters are and why they may seem similar or different to you. Also, provide a statement of method that clearly delineates what your topics for (a) and (b) will be in the body.
Example Paragraph for the Comparison/Contrast Paper for Interpreter of Maladies
Study Questions #1
Study Questions #2
Study Questions #3
Student Paper #1